Latest Transfer News: Barcelona eyeing Neymar as Messi replacement

Latest Transfer News: The future of Messi is still very much in the air and it seems Barcelona are already considering what could be done if the Argentina star leaves when his contract expires next summer.

The 33-year-old Messi looked exhausted during La Albiceleste’s 1-1 draw with Paraguay on Thursday, and Sport has suggested that one solution to revitalize the Barca squad might be to sign former winger Neymar, who has often been linked with a return to Camp Nou since joining Paris Saint-Germain for €222 million in 2017.

One factor that is set to help this potential move come to fruition is Barca’s looming presidential elections. The club will elect a new president on Jan. 24, 88 days after Josep Maria Bartomeu resigned from the role after falling out with Messi, sources have told ESPN.

Mundo Deportivo reports that Manchester City is still keen on Messi and could persuade him to join with a spell at sister-club New York City FC in MLS.

Meanwhile, Neymar is keen to return to Catalonia, though sources said that PSG has opened talks with the Brazilian over extending his contract, which expires in 2022. The fact that Barcelona has massive debt, and must pay Messi a €33m bonus when he leaves, means that money will be tight but if there is one player who can turn things around at Camp Nou then it’s probably Neymar.

 One of Benfica’s brightest young prospects, Gedson Fernandes, could be heading back to the club in January if the Portuguese side recalls him from his loan at Tottenham.

Fernandes, 21, joined Spurs on an 18-month loan with an option to buy in January 2019 but the midfielder has made only 13 appearances so far without playing in the Premier League at all.

Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho told SportTV: “For me, it is never a problem, but a solution. Having him in the squad, even if he is not called up and not playing, is an extremely comfortable situation.

“I will never be the one to push him or say that I don’t want him here. But I understand the situation of the kid and Benfica.

“If the club wants to end the relationship here, we will be here to collaborate, because we want the good of the player. Benfica has the power to decide and will be accepted by us.”

09.29 GMT: Bayern Munich defender David Alaba is out of contract next summer and doesn’t look like he will sign a new one.

The 28-year-old Austria international is the subject of interest from Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG, Man United and Man City but Juventus are leading the race for him, says Tuttosport.

Portuguese defender David Carmo is attracting interest from Premier League clubs including Manchester United, sources told ESPN’s, Rob Dawson.

The highly-rated 21-year-old has impressed Braga in Portugal, emerging as a target for a number of clubs in England and across Europe. Roma and Fiorentina were among the clubs to express an interest in Carmo during the summer.

United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer remains keen to add a left-sided center-back to his squad and Carmo, part of the Portugal Under-19 team that won the European Championship in 2018, is among the options.

However, any move for a defender is likely to be based on at least one center-back leaving Old Trafford. United are open to offers for both Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo after the pair were left out of this season’s Champions League squad.

Credit: espn.com